Submit your ALEKS success story by completing our online survey.
Issues in Accounting Education: Nov 2011, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp 647-656
“Students using ALEKS performed significantly better than those who had not on the exams that tested the underlying financial accounting material. Furthermore, implementation of ALEKS resulted in better course management. I spent far less office-hour time tutoring students on financial accounting material. ALEKS provides a great way for educators teaching the introduction to accounting course to address the functional competencies (AICPA, 1999, 2000) of financial accounting in both an efficient and effective manner.”
Click here to read full abstract or purchase article.
“We found evidence that the amount of time that has transpired since a student took introductory financial accounting, if they took the course at a non-university setting, or if they needed to repeat the introductory course, all negatively impact intermediate accounting performance. ALEKS partially or completely removes the disadvantage associated with these factors. Overall, the ALEKS program is accurate in its assessment of student knowledge, and is effective in refreshing students' understanding of introductory material in accounting. The results of this study are attractive to a variety of academic disciplines where student background is uneven and the instructor is looking for a way to bring students ‘up to speed’ without sacrificing class time.”
Click here to read full abstract or download complete article.
- Associate Professor Fatma Cebenoyan, Hunter College, NY
- Professor Eric Kelley, University of Arizona
- Professor David Ravetch, UCLA, CA
- Professor Harold Royer, Miami Dade Community College, FL
- Professor Stefani Tate, University of Massachusetts-Lowell, MA
- Student, Middlesex County College, NJ
"I really am very pleased with the results in my class this semester after using ALEKS. I did an analysis that was significant at the 10 percent level, and found that for every 10 hours that the students put into ALEKS their final average increased by 2.2 points, I have never had a semester with results this good."
- Professor Terry Sexton, St Josephs College, NY
- Student, Saint Joseph's University, PA
- Student, Virginia Western Community College, VA
"Students commented that they liked going at their own pace, and felt a sense of accomplishment as they saw their pie chart fill up. These students were totally engrossed in doing math with the program. I was also surprised at how little they needed me for additional explanations."
- Professor Carol Smith, California State University, CA
- Professor Dirk Tempelaar, University of Maastricht, Netherlands
- Student, San Francisco State University, CA